CLA is supplement that many have heard of but do not know much about. Current research findings suggest that CLA has a number of benefits for bodybuilders as well as any type of athlete. Conjugated linoleic acid is also unique because it is present in food from animal and dairy sources, and its anti-cancer efficacy is expressed at concentrations close to human consumption levels.
Some of the most known suggested benefits of CLA supplementation include:
- Increased metabolic rate — This would obviously be a positive benefit for any type of athlete that is trying to lose weight and improve body composition.
- Enhanced muscle growth — Muscle burns fat, which also contributes to increased metabolism which is useful in weight loss and management.
- Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides — Since many people these days have elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels, even with treatment, this benefit can have an impact on any person who has high cholesterol.
- Lowers insulin resistance — Lowering insulin resistance has been shown to help prevent adult-onset diabetes and make it easier to control weight.
- Reduces food-induced allergic reactions — Since food allergies can be at play when weight loss becomes difficult, this can be of help.
- Enhances immune system – With the variety of bacteria and poor immune systems in contemporary society, enhancing the immune system’s ability to function properly is a positive benefit to all.
CLA supplementation was also shown to improve the lean mass to body fat ratio, decreasing fat deposition, especially on the abdomen, and enhancing muscle growth. CLA achieves this reaction by it reduces body fat by enhancing insulin sensitivity so that fatty acids and glucose can pass through muscle cell membranes and away from fat tissue. This results in an improved muscle to fat ratio.
Compelling evidence also indicates that CLA can promote youthful metabolic function and reduce body fat. The unique mechanism by which this fatty acid protects against disease makes it an important addition to any supplement program.